Wednesday, December 5, 2007

On why..?

Working at a movie theatre has its..moments. Luckily I wasn't here for this moment of stupidity. Cinemark theatres has a advertising program going on with the National Guard. It is...ridiculous. You get a stupid little advertising/recruiting handout at the Box Office. Two of the popcorn bags have National Guard Trivia, and 10 minutes before your movie, you get a National Guard music video. Complaints? Of course, I don't blame them. This is what I don't get...

On Saturday, a lady, distraught with the amount of National Guard crap she was being force fed came up to the concession stand, told our worker, "I don't want to make a scene", and preceded to take the two National Guard bags off the display and run out the door with them. Well, to us, the bag is our inventory and a loss for us, so two of my co-workers ran after her. There was an ensuing tug of war. We won. There was the yelling of "it's only two bags" and a...well...scene. She was talked to by my boss about the situation and she was resonably upset. My question comes with...

-Why not TALK to somebody about it first?
-If you don't want to make a scene then...why do something that WILL make a scene..
-It's only two bags...yes, then what difference does it make to her? There are 1.5 million other ones just like them, what is running off with two bags going to do?

This is called doing without thinking, and what I consider idiotic behavior. The motive is not, the action is.

5 comments:

NattieAnn said...

That is just ridiculous! People get upset over the smallest, dumbest things. There are far bigger problems to deal with then the National guard promoting themselves at a theater. It's really not that big of a deal.

I work at an auto parts store and I get some stupid people getting upset over stupid things too. It's everywhere.

49ers Faithful Fan said...

I find it sort of funny that someone would run off with two bags. But also, I find it funny that the employees at the theater would actually follow this person. It's just two bags.

I do like your concept of your blog. It made me think, and I bet you have much more to say. Keep up the great job.

Charlie_Six said...

Haha, it's too bad your coworkers didn't get all of this on tape. It woulda made a great Youtube video. It sorta seems like the lady who took the bags kinda knew what she was doing was going to be a bit crazy.. but she just had to do something.

I get frustrated seeing military recruitment ads, too. Their distribution seems so unethical to me. The way they go after young people the way they do just rubs me the wrong way.

Divina Morales said...

Wow...wow. That incident was quite dumb. That lady should try going to the movies at a place like Oceanside. There are walking advertisements for the military--just look around. It's Marine town down there.

Nicole Leigh said...

Haha, people are quite dumb, that's for sure!